Wednesday, October 2, 2013

10 things I've learned as a new mom

Having a kid changes everything. I heard that phrase over and over growing up but never really thought to much about it. When I was in middle school, high school I always dreamed about how freakin awesome I would be as a mom. The thing is no matter how much you think you prepare...your never really ready for it.

When we first walked in our home with Addie I was on cloud nine. Our beautiful little girl was here! I had so much I wanted to do, plans and I was trying to soak in the advice of all the wise women before me. I learned some things pretty quick though.

1. I wasn't going to be as much of a social butterfly as I thought.
I got home and honestly I really didn't want to see anyone. Not because I was depressed or anything but because I wanted to enjoy the time with my new family. I mean we were really a family now. Plus Addie was not on any sort of eating schedule and it felt awkward to go to the back room to feed her while people sat out in my front room, also I can't sleep while other people are in my house. Weird i know but true.

2. I'm my own worst enemy.
Dont worry about cleaning! says well...everyone. "take the first couple of weeks taking care of yourself" I would sit and agree with everyone. And then I'd feel like I was being lazy and try to do it anyways with disastrous consequence.

3.Disposable diapers...best things ever.
Ok first month alone...I did a tally of diapers changed. Almost 400, I seriously applude those that are doing or did cloth diapering. I think it would drive me nuts.

4. I wouldn't feel as bad as I thought when she cried
Ok...first month I was up in a flash every time she let out her sad little whimper. However when she cries almost none stop for 7 hours and NOTHING you do helps. Sometimes whispering about how your going to sell her to McDonalds where they will make her a slave to clean under the fridges...helps. Honestly cause its a ridiculous and slightly funny seniaro.

5. It's ok to get crumbs in your babies hair.
I realized it is pretty hard to get a chance to eat as a mom and often when you do get to eat your holding the baby. After the first couple of times of feeling like a horrible mother I realized, hey crumbs brush off, she can get a bath it's OK.

6. Mother comparing.
I think all mothers are guilty of this at some point. Looking around and saying "Well look at what she does when she has kids. Why can't I do it?" For awhile I felt like everyone was looking at me thinking I was a bad mother. Will just set me down and ask me to name one person that had said that and when I had nothing he told me to remember that. No one is actually saying that. I've come to realize that maybe I do something awesome that another mom doesn't do. Some mothers craft, some make beautiful blogs about their childs life, some keep a perfectly clean house, some cook, the list goes on. Each mother is amazing just in their own way. :)

7. Having Addie sleep away from me was much harder than I thought.
Seriously it took a little over 2 months before I worked up the courage to let her sleep in the next room, but i came to understand the overwhelming fear your child is somehow going to be in imment danger is fairly normal.

8. She didn't hurt mine and Wills relationship.
I heard so much crap about how children make it so much harder with your spouse and how you'll never get to do the things you want that I was worried we'd be fighting all the time and that for awhile life would just kinda suck. Honestly it's strengthen mine and Wills we have never felt so united. There is more compromise, harder decisions, less money but...She's so worth it!

9.Just because somethings work for other people children doesnt mean they'll work on all.
I pinned a butt load of crap that I was sure was foolproof. Yeah most of it didn't work like the "wake your baby up every three hours" in order to get them on a sleep schedule. I laughed my head off reading that later. Seriously what kind of wonderful newborn sleeps for 3 hours straight? Addie sure didn't she would sleep longest 2 hours for the first month. I would literally go 2 days with no sleep at all. I eventually made her eat every three hours and she finally settled in to her sleeping patteren where she is now sleeping 6-9 hours a night. :D But will that work for all children? Probably not. Ya got to experment much more than I thought.

10. Do your best
I guess in summary I've learned as a new mom to just do your best. I realized I'm going to screw up with her the good thing is for right now my little bundle of joy has the memory of a potato. 12 years from now she's not going to demand why I let her cry while I mopped the floor. She's not going to feel betrayed because of the shots she got at her 2 month. All she will know is what people tell her. And even though I'm sure a certain grandfather is going to inform her she was stolen from the zoo and given plastic surgery to look human (I grew up being told I was a stray dog) She's going to be perfectly fine :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you are the sweetest most fun mom ever! And you echoed to a T almost everything I learned/still learning today as a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stray dog??? Ha! That is cruel and hilarious at the same time! Thanks for the huge laugh-out-loud moment!!! Your dad is awesome! And so are YOU!!! You and William are natural parents...learning as you go, just like we all did. We are so happy that you are Addie's mom:)

    ReplyDelete